It’s important to understand the differences between the three main types of Registered Valuations:

• Current Market Valuation
• Rating Valuation (RV / GV / CV)
• Insurance Valuation

Current Market Valuation

Sometimes referred to as a ‘Registered Valuation’, this is a full Valuation undertaken by a Registered Valuer. These are relied on by banks and lenders for finance applications, by vendors and purchasers for property transactions, and anyone who requires a reliable, accurate assessment of the value of a property.

A Valuer will complete an inspection of the ‘Subject’ property, and research Comparable Sales in the area, to prepare a detailed report. For maximum accuracy, peace of mind and reliability, ensure you are using a Registered Valuer.

Learn more about Current Market Valuations / Valuation Process

Rating Valuation 

Used by Local Governments around the country as a basis for setting Rates. Often referred to as either the Government Valuation (GV) or Capital Valuation (CV), but officially referred to as the Rating Valuation (RV).

This is a ‘mass appraisal’ analysis of general values in an area, at a particular date. The values are reassessed every three years under the provisions of the Rating Valuations Act, by specialist Rating Valuation firms.

The mass appraisal system means that a Valuer does not necessarily inspect every property; they will inspect a number of properties in an area, then analyse typical movements in the market, to assess a general idea of values.

NB: Rating Valuations are undertaken specifically for Council Rating purposes and are not intended to be used for other purposes - such as a sale, finance application or transfer.

Insurance Valuation

The Canterbury earthquakes highlighted the importance of being adequately insured. However there’s no point using a Current Market Valuation, or a Rating Valuation as a basis for insuring your property, as these assessments are completely different - they have no relevance to insurance.

Whilst a Current Market Valuation tells you what your property is worth to a potential purchaser, it doesn’t tell you how much it will cost to rebuild your home following a fire, earthquake or storm.

An Insurance Valuation will tell you how much it would cost to reinstate all of your buildings and any Improvements, following a disaster. This will also allow for demolition, site clearance, new foundations and a completely new build.

Find out more about Registered Valuations. Contact Valuation Partners


T: 03 974 1320 Christchurch
T: 03 927 4685 Queenstown

Sign up to our Newsletter